With Brexit Comes New Rules and Changes…

If you’re a Brit, and planning on taking a trip to somewhere in the EU anytime soon, make sure you know of all the changes.

We’ve listed a few of the most important ones you need to know below. 

Will my driving licence be okay to use?

Thankfully, yes. For the majority of UK drivers, anyway. 

However, there are some exceptions you should be aware of. If you come under any of the below categories, you will need to apply for an IDP (International Driving Permit):

  • You don’t have a photocard licence (the paper licence on its own isn’t enough) 
  • If your licence was granted in any of the following countries:
    • Gibraltar
    • Guernsey
    • Jersey
    • Isle of Man

Use the government website to apply for an IDP online, or wander down to your local post office where you can pick one up for a mere £5.50.

What about my car insurance?

Many rumours were flying around about a green card, but in the last month, this was thankfully dismissed. 

If you want to know whether you’re covered to drive in the EU, the best thing to do is to contact your car insurance provider. It may already be part of your policy, or you might need to add it on. 

Will I need a GB sticker? 

Yes. At least for the rest of September, anyway. Your number plate may already have a GB sticker on it, but if it doesn’t, you want to avoid risking bagging yourself a fine. 

It’s best to check with the country’s local authorities, as some differ with their rules. For example, if you’re planning on gliding into Spain with your motor, a GB sticker is required on its own. Even if it’s alongside others, such as an England one, or a Scotland or Wales one.

If you’re planning on driving into the EU after September has passed (the 28th, to be precise), then you’ll need to obtain one of those new ‘UK’ plates. Equally, you can get a UK sticker (displayed properly at the rear of your car), instead of the GB one. 

Is there anything I’m missing?

Hopefully not. But don’t forget to keep your V5c logbook with you, just in case. Alternatively, if you’ve hired a car, then you’ll need a VE103.

Oh, and it probably goes without saying, but we’re going to do it anyway: ensure your MOT and car insurance details and policies are valid!

If you need to renew your car insurance, or thinking about a change, then it’s your lucky day, and you’re in the right place! Click here to get started and set foot into a world of the cheapest car insurance quotes around. You’re welcome.

© 2022 All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. See our copyright notice.

Comments are closed.